........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 18 July 2012

The Long March From Open Capitalism To Disguised Monopolisation

The ten brands/companies in the middle own the 396 companies on the
 edges. Few of us would realise this from the way the supermarket
 shelves look.  But if the ten labels in the centre replaced the 396 that people
 saw as they shopped then the narrowness of our actual choices would be
 exposed. We would see how much  modern (post modern?) capitalism 
is tightly led and cuts down diversity, even within itself. Like many
 people I find myself stunned with the range and choice of goods in
  supermarkets to the degree that I think at half my normal speed,
 but I suspect I am actually stunned by the covert
monopolism going on underneath the labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment