........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Thursday 4 October 2012

The Non-Society

I read 'New Society' in the 1980's
because I believed that I was a part
of what they wrote about.
I felt that through reading it
I would better understand
the changes I embodied.

In 1987 Mrs Thatcher, was interviewed
in the magazine 'Woman's Own'.
She aimed to be the last ism going,
she was clearing out all the rest.
For her 'society didn't exist',
it was replaced by lots of new wealth,
which was built on debt.
Amidst the novelty 'New Society' folded.

After that, penetrating insight mattered less.
Due to managerialism and short termism
and a burgeoning pedantry
the culture became more shallow.
For the want of a coherent a platform
open minds have been occluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment