........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Wednesday 13 November 2013

Practical Spirituality*

I like walking on my own in the country.
Every time I go I take a bag with me
to collect the rubbish I see in the verges,
the plastic bottles and chip containers
and drink cans strewn in the hedges.
Every time I pick one up there are
two voices in my head, one of them
says "How dirty is that? Put it down!
Did I rear you so that you would not
keep yourself clean?" and I disobey it.
The other voice comes from the planet, 
on which I try, and fail, to walk lightly
it says "Thank you for leaving me more tidy".



*the only time I am at ease with the word
'spiritual' is with the word practical before it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment