........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Sunday 24 August 2014

Conflict Is Us

I was all of sixteen when for the only time ever
I asked a teacher of religious studies
about the conflict between Darwinism
and Creationism. Like you would expect
she gave an answer that I can't remember.
And for several quite solid reasons too-
the first and biggest of these was that at the time.
I wanted to be an aggressive youth, to be partisan.
Not that I knew words like that back then.
The second was that I had long been labelled
'a maladjusted child' and I therefore found
being actually listened to very difficult-
I had struggled hard against so many people
doing things for me, in my name without ever
taking the time to listen to who I was
or explain why what they did for themselves
was best for me too, that I was deaf whilst hearing.
Now, finally, I understand the hardest
and most mature reason why Darwinism
and Creationism create such dispute between them
-on differing time scales both advocate a history
where the winners vie to live out their victories
through the remains of those they have vanquished,
whilst shrinking from thinking how soon
their own bones and lives will argued over.

No comments:

Post a Comment