........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Watch Without Mother

I have seen many films at the movies,
enough that I would be happy
if I were never to see another.
The experience has been educational.
I remember so much of the detail;
the titles, the editing and the content,
including the sex and violence,
without feelings of uncleanliness.

What I am less forgiving toward
is how deliberately unmemorable 
most of the television that at the time
I felt I was forced to watch has sadly proved to be.
But back then I rarely considered
how television was a way of creating audiences
for selling product the same way
that parents used it as a child minder;
both used it to pacify and provoke others,
and pass on values which would diminish others,
whilst avoiding being seen to do so. This made them,
and all that they passed on, oh so forgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment