........................................................................................ - a weBlog by Snowy and me.

Friday 16 March 2018

The Work Ethic Never Stops.... (2)

It is now over twenty years
since I last applied for a job,
and tried to make the process
of applying for jobs work for me.

After that I became so openly depressed
that I had to be excused being further pressed
into ever assuming that I might be wanted.

In that last application where I was meant
to 'sell myself' by recounting my best points
I addressed the employer and said to them;
'Naturally you will have more applicants
for the posts than you will have posts.
So if you want to reject me early on
in selecting who you want to accept,
then do-with my open consent.'.

I got a response from the employer,
the first I had got from any employer
'If you didn't want the job
then why did you apply for it?'.

It was the first proof I had in a decade
that employers read my applications,
and of course in trying to show them
some basic courtesy what I got back
meant in code 'Why are not more rude,
dishonest and aggressive? That is how we
have to be towards our competitors
and each other-without being seen to be so'.      

No comments:

Post a Comment